Code of Ethics
Because Breeders Should Be Held to a Higher Standard.
We at Von Krenz Bordeaux® adhere to a strict Code of Ethics. Our code of ethics is based upon the principles of the United Kennel Club® & American Kennel Club®; America’s oldest and largest registries. However, our own personal standards exceed those that are set forth by either of the registries listed. Several other DDB organizations have tailored their COE after these registries as well.
Vaccinations must be administered in accordance with local and state requirements. An internal and external parasite control program must be maintained. Sick dogs must be separated from general kennel population. Bathing/grooming should be administered as required by breed to maintain proper health conditions.
A daily regimen of human interaction is necessary to ensure the development of good temperament for all dogs- especially pups.
* Note: Please see our “Socializing” page for specific details regarding our unique program.
Waste must be removed in accordance with accepted local and state requirements. The kennel area must be cleaned of all feces and urine daily. Solid waste must be removed from the kennel area.
Food and Water:
Clean water must be available at all times. Care should be taken so those water dishes are not tipped easily. Dogs should be fed at least twice daily.
A high quality diet free of corn, soy & wheat by-product is necessary for good health. Food containers must be cleaned daily. Attention to feeding times in a multi-dog confinement area is necessary to ensure that each dog receives adequate nourishment.
* Note: Von Krenz Bordeaux® feeds 2 – 3 times daily and only feeds an all natural diet, Precise® food is our food of choice.
All dogs must have access to dry, weatherproof housing. The shelter must be properly maintained in relation to climatic conditions. Regular inspections of housing are necessary to ensure sanitary bedding and protection from objects harmful to pups and adults.
* Note: Von Krenz Bordeaux® does not utilize a kennel building for our ‘kids’, they all reside in family home environments; which includes all "Program” & “Co-Owned” dogues. Our 'kennel' is featured on our home page, our four-legged companions allow us to share their home with them.
Safety and Protection:
Should the kennel owner choose to kennel dogs together, there must be attention given so that dogs are not in danger of injuring one another. Also, there must be protection from stray and wild animals and from objects harmful to pups and adults. Adequate fencing is required.
I shall not condone the promotion, support, and raising of dogs for fighting. I will not knowingly sell, give or trade dogs that will be used for fighting; I shall not condone or be associated with the facing off, game testing, rolling or pitting of dogs.
I will keep accurate records, and retain those records for a minimum of five years. These records will include health and vaccination records, stud service contracts, pedigrees, all litters produced, and all dogs/puppies sold. All dogs are easily identified within my kennel operation. I maintain complete and accurate registration documents on all dogs. I will report any person who falsifies a registration, or knowingly misrepresents a pedigree to the proper registration outlet.
* Note: All Von Krenz Bordeaux® pups are now shipped micro chipped for permanent means of identification at no extra cost to the purchaser.
I shall plan each breeding with the paramount intention of improving the breed.
I will select the stud dog and brood bitch with an eye to conformation, temperament, and working instinct and ability, with a careful study of the breed standard and the principles of genetics. I will not breed any male or female until they are both physically and mentally mature.
Before entering into any breeding arrangement, I will scrutinize the pedigree, conformation, and working potential of both the sire and dam, keeping in mind the ideal of the breed. I have an obligation to refuse the breeding if, in my opinion, it is not in the best interest of the breed.
As a responsible stud dog owner, I understand that should I refuse a breeding, I will fully explain my reasons to the owner of the bitch.
I subscribe to the policy that only those dogs known to be of sound health should be used for breeding.
* Note: Von Krenz Bordeaux® is currently the #1 OFA® certified DDB breeding in the world. This means that we have submitted and received back more favorable OFA® health screen results than any other DDB breeder that utilizes this benchmarking health screening organization. Our program reflects a ten to one ratio over the average DDB breeding program. In 12 short years of breeding, Von Krenz Bordeaux® has surpassed a number of kennels with 20+ years breeding experience by a ratio of 30 to 1, an unprecedented record!
The whelping area must be a warm, clean and roomy area with easy accessible for cleaning and inspection. For both pups and mother, the kennel owner must provide a healthy whelping area for maximum growth, survival, exercise and socialization with humans.
Note: All Von Krenz Bordeaux® pups are whelped indoors, inside of a loving family environment and never taken away from nursing mothers.
Each litter must be segregated or properly identified. Dogs must be confined in such a manner that prevents their escape yet provides adequate room for individual mobility. Crated dogs must have exercise area and receive adequate exercise daily. Females in season must be separated from males (other than the male she is bred to) for the entire heat cycle.
* Note: Von Krenz Bordeaux® whelps one litter at a time in order that each puppy/litter is properly socialized. Von Krenz Bordeaux® NEVER has accidental breedings/litters. When multiple planned litters are produced, a loving, family home environment is available for each litter to ensure the highest ratio of human to puppy contact is achieved.
I will be discriminating in the sale of my puppies, and concerned with the type of homes in which they are placed. My dogs/puppies will not be sold to dog wholesalers, retailers or pet stores.
Upon the sale of a puppy, I will provide the buyer with a diet record, an inoculation and parasite control record, and a health guarantee.
I will refrain from releasing any puppy until it is at least seven (7) weeks old, or eight (8) weeks old if the puppy is to be shipped.
I agree that all advertising of dogs/puppies should be factual and honest, both in substance and implication.
I will avoid encouraging buyers regarding the breeding potential of a dog/puppy. The breeding of any purebred dogs involves certain responsibilities, and is not to be taken lightly.
I understand that exhibiting dogs is a sport, and that I am expected to express good sportsmanship in all activities. As an exhibitor I will refrain from unnecessary criticism of other people´s dogs.
As a matter of ethics, I pledge to help educate the general public as well as to assist the novice breeder.
* Note: Von Krenz Bordeaux® will not be party to any of the personal/club attacks or agendas set forth by private parties/clubs which directly affect ones personal/professional reputation. When questions arise regarding other breeders/clubs, Von Krenz Bordeaux® will refer you to known clients of those persons/organizations and refer you to the OFA database to confirm any claims regarding health certifications. The current Dogue De Bordeaux clubs, like the DDBSA, USBC & NABF are private clubs; they are governed by themselves, nor are they registries. Only the United Kennel Club® & American Kennel Club® are registries. Remember, any person(s) can create their own club and run the club(s) according to their own agendas.
In as much as a Code of Ethics is a guideline, not Rules, Regulations or Legal Documents, they do not carry an enforceable punishment. They are to be enforced by each breeder, upon each breeder, in a civil and responsible manner.
* Note: Von Krenz Bordeaux® and its elected Board of Directors will continue to hold themselves to the highest breeding standards set forth by all canine organizations; we also adhere to local municipal standards set forth for the care and keeping of canines. Our Board of Directors belong to a number of different breed clubs; including the DDBSA, USBC, NABF, SADB, AKC, UKC and others organizations.